make love(redirected from makes love)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
euphemism To have sex. When I make love for the first time, I want it to be with the person I'll spend the rest of my life with. After Betty became pregnant, it seemed like she wanted to make love to me all the time.
make love(to someone)
1. to kiss and caress someone. Ernest made love to Linda in the garden in the moonlight. She liked the way he made love to her—all that poetry.
2. Euph. to have sex with someone. I really think that he wanted to make love to me. She did not want to make love to him.
1. Court, engage in amorous caressing, as in Romance was in the air, and she hoped he would make love to her. [Late 1500s]
2. Have sexual intercourse, as in They'd been making love well before they married. This usage today is the more common of the two. [Mid-1900s]
make ˈlove (to somebody)have sex (with somebody): They made love all night long.
1. To engage in amorous caressing.
2. To engage in sexual intercourse.