make an ass (out) of (someone or oneself)(redirected from makes an ass of me)
make an ass (out) of (someone or oneself)
rude slang To do something that makes someone or oneself seem stupid or ridiculous. I'm not going to dance too much at the party because I don't want to make an ass of myself in front of my coworkers. I know Greg is only trying to impress Lisa, but he's making an ass out of himself by telling so many corny jokes. Don't let him make an ass out of you like that—say something back!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
make an ass of oneself/someone, to
To make an utter fool of oneself or someone else. This term has been current since Shakespeare’s time, for the “ass”—along with the donkey—has been equated with stupidity and foolishness since Cicero’s day. A ruder version is to make a horse’s ass (a horse’s behind) of someone.
The Dictionary of Clichés by Christine Ammer Copyright © 2013 by Christine Ammer
- leave (someone, something, or oneself) (wide) open for (something)
- leave oneself wide open for
- leave open
- leave yourself wide open to something
- leave (someone, something, or oneself) (wide) open to (something)
- reproach (someone or something) with (something)
- reproach with
- for (one's) (own) sake
- for sake
- keep sight of somebody/something