make over(redirected from make us over)
1. verb To make changes to something in order to greatly alter or completely change its appearance or function. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "make" and "over." We're thinking about making over the entire layout of the magazine. Our neighbors made over their back yard and it's really impressive.
2. verb To alter someone's appearance, especially by making dramatic changes to their hair, clothing, makeup, etc. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "make" and "over." Katie is going to have a sleepover and all of her friends are going to make each other over. They've completely made over Kim. She's almost unrecognizable! This is the show where they help make over military veterans who are re-entering the workforce.
3. verb To transfer ownership of a property to someone else in an official legal way. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "make" and "over." I didn't realize how complicated it would be to make over the house to me and my siblings when my parents moved out.
4. noun The act of altering someone's appearance, as by making dramatic changes to their makeup, hair, clothing, etc. In this usage, the phrase is often hyphenated or spelled as one word. This is the show where they do makeovers for military veterans who are re-entering the workforce. Katie is going to have a sleepover and all of her friends are going to give each other makeovers.
1. Redo, renovate, as in We're making over the playroom into an additional bedroom. [Late 1600s]
2. Change or transfer ownership, usually through a legal document, as in She made over the house to her daughter. This usage was first recorded in 1546.
1. To renovate something; give something a new appearance: We need to make over the whole living room. The house is really shabby, but we plan to make it over.
2. To change or transfer the ownership of something by means of a legal document: I made over the property to my children in the will. My parents intend to make the house over to me.