Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. To allot time in one's schedule, as for a particular activity or to spend time with someone. A: "I don't have time to work on my study anymore!" B: "You got a D on your last test, so make time!" If you can't make time for your kids, then you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life. I need to make time to work on my résumé this weekend.
2. To move, travel, or proceed very quickly, especially when one is running late. Everyone in the car! We need to make time if we're going to make our flight!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
make time (with someone)
to flirt with, date, or hang around with someone. I hear that Tom's been making time with Ann. I hear they've been making time for months.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Proceed rapidly, as in We have to make time if we don't want to miss the first part of the movie. This usage alludes to compensating for lost time. [First half of 1800s] Also see make good time.
2. make time for. Arrange one's schedule for doing something or seeing someone, as in Harold always manages to make time for tennis, or I'm pretty busy, but I can make time for you tomorrow morning.
3. make time with. Court or flirt with someone, as in Jerry is trying to make time with Beth. [Slang; first half of 1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
make ˈtime (to do something)make sure you have enough time to do something: I’m very busy, but I’ll try to make time to do it.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. To travel speedily.
2. To travel at a specified rate: We made good time getting to town.
3. Slang To make progress toward attracting someone: tried to make time with the new neighbor.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.