make (something) up as (one) goes (along)(redirected from made up as you went along)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
make (something) up as (one) goes (along)
To improvise continuously as one does something; to do something without formal guidelines, structure, rules, etc. None of us really knew how to play the game, so we just made it up as we went along. I completely forgot the rest of my speech halfway through, so I just started making the rest up as I went along. You can't just make up data as you go, you have to provide real evidence to support your hypothesis!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- (one) could use (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- (one) never would have guessed
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- all right
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- a/the feel of (something)
- (one) won't hear of (something)
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- (one's) heart is set on (something)