make sense(redirected from made sense)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. To be understandable or coherent. These numbers don't make sense. How can there be a deficit if we also have an excess? I've tried asking him but his explanations aren't making any sense.
2. To be practical or seem like a good idea. It doesn't make sense to drive all the way home when we'll need to leave again almost as soon as we get there. If you think you might want to go to college there, visiting for a weekend just makes sense.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
to be understandable. John doesn't make sense. What John says makes sense to me.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Be understandable. This usage, first recorded in 1686, is often used in a negative context, as in This explanation doesn't make sense.
2. Be reasonable, wise, or practical, as in It makes sense to find out first how many will attend the conference. This term employs sense in the meaning of "what is reasonable," a usage dating from 1600. In Britain it is also put as stand to sense.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1 have a meaning that you can easily understand: This sentence doesn’t make sense — there’s no verb in it.
2 be a sensible or practical thing to do: It makes sense to buy a house now because prices will certainly go up soon.
3 be easy to understand or explain: John wasn’t making much sense on the phone.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. To be coherent or intelligible: an explanation that made sense.
2. To be practical or advisable: It makes sense to go now.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.