lose (some amount of) time(redirected from lost a lot of time)
lose (some amount of) time
To waste or squander some amount of time, the amount of which typically being left somewhat vague. The racer lost a lot of time having to change the tire of his bike so early on, but he'll have plenty of chances to catch up. We lost so much time dealing with paperwork and legal issues that I don't know if we'll even be able to meet our deadline at this point.
1. For a watch or clock to not work or function properly. My watch keeps losing time—it must need a new battery
2. To waste or squander time or be delayed when there is a limited amount of time or a deadline. Hey, turn here—there's a traffic jam on the highway so we'll lose time if we go that way. The reshoot caused us to lose time, but we're still on track to meet the deadline.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
lose some amount of time
[for some amount of time] to be wasted. We lost a lot of time waiting for Hermione. He lost no time in getting out of there.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Operate too slowly. For example, My watch loses time, or This clock loses five minutes a day. This usage is always applied to a timepiece. [Mid-1800s]
2. Waste time, delay, as in We wanted to paint the entire porch today, but we lost time trying to find a color that matched the house . This expression is sometimes put negatively as lose no time, meaning "act immediately" or "not delay," as in We must lose no time in getting him to the hospital. [Late 1500s] Also see make up for lost time.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To operate too slowly. Used of a timepiece.
2. To delay advancement.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.