lose (one's) hold over (someone or something)(redirected from loses your hold over)
lose (one's) hold over (someone or something)
To no longer have a direct control, influence, or authority over someone or something. The president's political party lost its hold over congress after several senators lost their seats in the recent election. After the landmark election, and as the dictator finally lost his hold over the citizens of the country, people flocked to the streets to celebrate.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- make (someone, something, or oneself) a laughingstock
- make a laughingstock of
- make a laughingstock of (someone, something, or oneself)
- control over
- control over (someone or something)
- power behind the throne
- power behind the throne, the
- the power behind the throne
- have/keep somebody on a string
- backstairs influence