lose time(redirected from lose no time)
Also found in: Legal.
1. For a watch or clock to not work or function properly. My watch keeps losing time—it must need a new battery
2. To waste or squander time or be delayed when there is a limited amount of time or a deadline. Hey, turn here—there's a traffic jam on the highway so we'll lose time if we go that way. The reshoot caused us to lose time, but we're still on track to meet the deadline.
1. Operate too slowly. For example, My watch loses time, or This clock loses five minutes a day. This usage is always applied to a timepiece. [Mid-1800s]
2. Waste time, delay, as in We wanted to paint the entire porch today, but we lost time trying to find a color that matched the house . This expression is sometimes put negatively as lose no time, meaning "act immediately" or "not delay," as in We must lose no time in getting him to the hospital. [Late 1500s] Also see make up for lost time.
1. To operate too slowly. Used of a timepiece.
2. To delay advancement.