look to(redirected from look to for)
look to someone or something (for something)
to expect someone or something to supply something. Children look to their parents for help. Tom looked to the bank for a loan.
1. Pay attention to, take care of, as in You'd best look to your own affairs. [c. 1300]
2. Anticipate or expect, as in We look to hear from her soon. [c. 1600]
3. look to be. Seem to be, promise to be, as in This looks to be a very difficult assignment. [Mid-1700s]
1. To rely on someone or something: He looks to his parents for support when things get tough.
2. To expect or hope for something: She looked to hear from the doctor within a week.