look to(redirected from look to be)
look to (someone or something)
1. To depend on someone to provide something. Students look to their professors for guidance.
2. To seem or appear to be something. This looks to be a situation you can't talk your way out of.
3. To expect something. I look to get a response today.
look to someone or something (for something)
to expect someone or something to supply something. Children look to their parents for help. Tom looked to the bank for a loan.
1. Pay attention to, take care of, as in You'd best look to your own affairs. [c. 1300]
2. Anticipate or expect, as in We look to hear from her soon. [c. 1600]
3. look to be. Seem to be, promise to be, as in This looks to be a very difficult assignment. [Mid-1700s]
1. To rely on someone or something: He looks to his parents for support when things get tough.
2. To expect or hope for something: She looked to hear from the doctor within a week.