live up to (something)(redirected from living up)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
live up to (something)
1. To be as good as or have the qualities that someone predicted, expected, or hoped for. We'd heard so many good things about the new restaurant, but the food didn't live up to our expectations at all. I'm so excited for the latest movie in the series—I hope it lives up to my expectations!
2. To do as was promised in an agreement or bargain; to carry through with what one agreed to do. I've delivered the cash as you instructed. Now you have to live up to your end of the bargain! We've done the work on our end. I just hope their team lives up to their end.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
live up to something
to fulfill expectations; to satisfy a goal or set of goals. (Often with one's reputation, promise, word, standards, etc.) I hope I can live up to my reputation. The class lives up to its reputation of being exciting and interesting.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
live up to
1. Live or act in accordance with; also, measure up to. For example, Children rarely live up to their parents' ideals, or This new technology has not lived up to our expectations. [Late 1600s]
2. Carry out, fulfill, as in She certainly lived up to her end of the bargain. [First half of 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
live up to
1. To live or act in accordance with: lived up to their parents' ideals.
2. To prove equal to: a new technology that did not live up to our expectations.
3. To carry out; fulfill: lived up to her end of the bargain.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.