off campus

(redirected from live off campus)

off campus

Outside of a university's or college's campus. Hyphenated if used before a noun. I liked living in the dorm rooms for my first semester of college, but I'm looking forward to living off campus for a while. The only bank we can is used is about 15 miles off campus.
See also: campus, off
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.

*off campus

not located or present on the grounds of a college or university. (*Typically: be ~; live ~; move~.) Tom has an apartment off campus. The dean is off campus and cannot be reached.
See also: campus, off
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
See also:
References in periodicals archive ?
Also, concerning the welfare of our staff and students, we have just signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a private developer for additional hostel accommodation, because only 25 per cent of our students live on campus while the remaining 75 per cent live off campus.
figure By MARY WAMBUI For many residents of Juja town in Kiambu County, a threat to students of Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (Jkuat) is a threat to their businesses.The vibrancy of the small dusty town has been mostly maintained by the 30,000 students, most of whom live off campus as the university's hostels can only host 2,700 of them.
I sometimes wonder what my career might have looked like had I not opted to live off campus at a time when Dell, Microsoft, and PCs in general were getting started.
"She would live off campus, be escorted by Philippine security personnel, and be driven to and from campus by a Filipino chauffeur," it added.
In more than half of the markets surveyed, rent was an average of $219 higher to live off campus. But there are caveats.
Two-thirds of college students live off campus, she says, and many are forced to do so alone, without any help in how to sign a lease, keep house, and live with neighbors.
"If a pet is found living in university student accommodation the student will be asked to find alternative accommodation for the pet such as with family or fellow students who live off campus in accommodation that allows pets."
At UNT, counseling center director Tamara Grosz hopes the program will be more convenient for students who live off campus, have a job or are raising children.
I never see anyone here," he said, adding that next year he wants to live off campus.
Even though assessment results indicated an overall awareness of our services was high, the counseling center staff decided to increase outreach efforts, particularly for students who live off campus. We coordinated programming at the university Commuter House, conducted outreach with student veterans, published articles in the student magazine and newspaper, implemented "pet a therapy dog" stress reduction events at our student center, and increased guest lectures on mental health topics.
Students who live off campus are likely not covered by their parents' homeowners policy and may need to purchase their own renters insurance policy.
Students don't have time to participate." Participants also mentioned that, like nontraditional students in general, most student veterans live off campus and may not have the time or means to return to campus for evening meetings (all 10 participants in this study lived off campus).
Those who don't must apply to live off campus, unless they're staying with family, and the college assists them in understanding tenants' rights, how to negotiate with a landlord and empowers them to live on their own.
Lawrence, the guide highlights the school's “numerous sustainability initiatives,” including its new Sustainability Semester, “where students live off campus at a nearby farmstead, are exposed to environmental problems and solutions, and are guaranteed a paid internship in a sustainability-related field.”