lift(redirected from liftable)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
blow the lid off (something)
To expose something to the public, often something scandalous or deceptive. That company's stock price plummeted after the media blew the lid off the CEO's embezzlement scandal.
1. n. the potency of alcohol in liquor. Now, this imported stuff has enough lift to raise the dead.
2. n. a brief spiritual or ego-lifting occurrence. Your kind words have given me quite a lift.
3. and lift-up n. drug euphoria; a rush. (Drugs.) The lift-up from the shot jarred her bones.
4. tv. to steal something. She had lifted this ring. We found it on her when we arrested her.
5. tv. to take something away. It was his third offense, so they lifted his license.
6. n. a tall heel on shoes that makes someone seem taller. (Usually plural.) I feel better in my lifts.
7. n. a surgical face-lift. He had a lift on his vacation, but his face still looked two sizes too big.
8. n. a device—worn under the hair at the temples—that provides some of the effects of a surgical face-lift. Do you think she’s wearing a lift?
9. n. a ride; transportation. Would you like a lift over to your apartment?
- a rising tide lifts all boats
- bend elbow
- bend one’s elbow
- blow the lid off (something)
- Can I have a lift?
- Could I have a lift?
- give a lift
- give you a lift?
- heavy lifting
- hitch a lift
- lift (one's) elbow
- lift (one's) hand against (someone)
- lift (one's) hat
- lift (one's) spirits
- lift a finger
- lift a hand
- lift down
- lift fire
- lift from
- lift off
- lift one’s elbow
- lift the curtain (on something)
- lift the lid off (something)
- lift the lid off something
- lift the veil (on something)
- lift up
- lift your elbow
- lift, blow, etc. the lid off something
- lift/raise a hand against somebody
- lift/raise the roof
- not lift a finger
- not lift a hand
- out of context
- raise (one's) hand against (someone)
- raise a hand against
- raise the curtain
- Thanks for the ride
- thumb a lift
- thumb/hitch a lift