lift the lid off something
lift the lid off (something)
To expose something to the public, often something scandalous or deceptive. That company's stock price plummeted after the media lifted the lid off the CEO's embezzlement scandal.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
lift the lid off somethingor
lift the lid on somethingJOURNALISM
If you lift the lid off something or lift the lid on something that has been kept secret, especially something shocking, you do something to make it known. He lifts the lid off Crystal Palace football club with a number of startling revelations. Her book lifted the lid on the royal marriage.
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012
- (you've) got to get up pretty early in the morning to (do something)
- a whole different animal
- a whole different ball of wax
- a whole different beast
- a/the feel of (something)
- (something) to go on
- (something) is the new (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- a casualty of (something)