level up(redirected from leveled up)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. To bring something to an equal level or position compared to another thing. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "level" and "up." A late field goal has leveled up the game between these two powerhouses! You can wedge scraps of wood underneath the decking to level it up.
2. To achieve or advance to the next rank, typically resulting in stat boosts or new abilities. Said of a character within a game, especially video games. You'll probably need to level up a couple of times before you try to take on the boss in this stage.
3. To cause one's character to achieve or advance to a higher level or rank. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "level" and "up." I had to spend a few hours leveling my whole team up before we were strong enough to defeat the boss. Once you level up, you'll be able to cast healing spells on yourself.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
level something up
to move something into a level or plumb position. Use a piece of wood under the table's leg to level it up. I will level up the table.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To make something even or equal: One more goal from the visiting team leveled up the score. I used a scraper to level the wet cement up.
2. To advance to the next level. Used especially of role-playing and video games: The scenarios became more complex and difficult as I leveled up. After solving the first puzzle, my character leveled up to level 2.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.