let slide by(redirected from let him slide by)
let slide by
1. To allow one to succeed without putting in as much work or effort as is or should be normally required. A noun or pronoun is used between "slide" and "by." Because of his talent on the football field, his parents and teachers have all been letting him slide by with his studies. After having bosses that let me slide by so much in my last job, it's actually nice to have a bit more structure and accountability in the new office.
2. To allow someone or something to quickly pass by one. A noun or pronoun is used between "slide" and "by." Don't let anyone slide by you. We don't want the scene of the crime to be contaminated before the detectives have a chance to look things over. Their goalkeeper is not in his usual form today—that's the fourth goal he's let slide by already!
3. To fail to detect someone or something. A noun or pronoun is used between "slide" and "by." She has an eagle eye for mistakes—she hasn't let a single error slide by since she started proofreading for us. The inattentive security guard kept letting prisoners slide by into the storage room where contraband is stored.
4. To fail to remember something one had planned or scheduled. A noun or pronoun is used between "slide" and "by." I can't believe you let our meeting slide by—we've had that planned out for over a month! She lets everything else in his life slide by when she gets so focused on a project like this.
5. To allow a period of time to pass or be spent idly or without notice. A noun or pronoun is used between "slide" and "by." I don't want to let the whole summer slide by without going anywhere nice for a vacation. Sorry, I got distracted playing my game and ended up letting the afternoon slide by.
let someone slide by
Fig. to permit someone to get past a barrier or a challenge too easily. You let too many students slide by. You need to be more rigorous. Don't let even one unqualified person slide by!