leave (one) holding the baby(redirected from left me holding the baby)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
leave (one) holding the baby
To foist responsibility or guilt for something onto one; to allow one to take the blame for something. Primarily heard in UK. My partner had been cooking the books for years, and he left me holding the baby when the business collapsed.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
leave somebody holding the ˈbaby(American English also leave somebody holding the ˈbag) (informal) leave somebody to take the responsibility or blame for something: It’s always the same. We all agree to do something, then you all say you’re too busy to arrange it, and I’m left holding the baby. ♢ You two were going to fly off and leave me holding the bag.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- (one) could use (something)
- (one) won't hear of (something)
- (one) never would have guessed
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- (one's) heart is set on (something)
- (one) could stand (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- all right
- a ghost at the feast