leave (one) to the mercy/mercies of (someone or something)(redirected from leave to the mercy/mercies of)
leave (one) to the mercy/mercies of (someone or something)
To allow one to face the punishment or rebukes of something or someone who will not show them any mercy, kindness, or sympathy. I thought it would be best if I spoke to her, rather than leaving her to the mercy of the principal.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
leave somebody/something to the mercy/mercies of somebody/somethingleave somebody/something in a situation that may cause them to suffer or to be treated badly: The soldiers had no choice but to run across open fields, which left them to the mercy of enemy gunners.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- leave somebody/something to the mercy/mercies of somebody/something
- leave to someone's tender mercies
- leave (one) to (someone's) tender mercies
- milk it
- at the mercy of somebody/something
- do (one) a kindness
- do a kindness
- place (oneself) at (someone's) mercy
- harden (one's) heart against (someone or something)
- harden your heart against somebody/something