Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. To physically move something out of the way. A noun or pronoun can be used between "lay" and "aside." Can't you lay aside some of these toys so that we can walk through the living room?
2. To stop doing something temporarily. A noun or pronoun can be used between "lay" and "aside." Can't we lay aside the arguing and have a civil dinner for once?
3. To abandon or forsake some pursuit or goal. A noun or pronoun can be used between "lay" and "aside." When my kids were younger, I chose to lay my career aspirations aside and become a stay-at-home dad.
4. To save or keep something for future use. A noun or pronoun can be used between "lay" and "aside." You should lay aside part of each paycheck and put it into a retirement fund.
lay something aside
to set something aside; to place something to one side, out of the way. He laid his papers aside and went out to welcome the visitor. He laid aside his papers.
1. Give up, abandon, as in He laid aside all hopes of winning first prize. [First half of 1400s]
2. Also, lay away; lay by. Set apart for a reason, save for the future, as in They lay aside enough to pay the rent, or Because coffee prices were rising, she laid by enough for a month, or The store laid away the winter coat I wanted. [Early 1700s] The first variant gave rise, about 1970, to the term layaway plan, in which merchandise is laid away for a buyer who pays a deposit and receives it when payment is made in full. Also see lay down, def. 4; set aside.
1. To stop being actively engaged with something: I will lay aside my reading and go for a walk when I finish this chapter. The lifeguard laid the binoculars aside and jumped in the water.
2. To abandon something, especially a plan, hope, or desire; give up something: The marooned sailors had lain aside any hope of being saved. When the loan fell through, they laid their plans of buying a house aside.
3. To save something for the future: I lay aside part of my paycheck every week to save for a new car. Let's lay part of your allowance aside to pay for the movies.