know where (one) stands(redirected from know where you stand)
know where (one) stands
1. To know how one is regarded or perceived by someone else. I think I did well in the interview, but I wish I knew where I stood with the recruiter.
2. To know one's position or views on some topic. I'm opposed to this measure, but does anyone know where the boss stands on it?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
know where someone stands
(on someone or something) to know what someone thinks or feels about something. I don't know where John stands on this issue. I don't even know where I stand.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
know where one stands
1. Be aware of one's position relative to others, or how one is regarded by others, as in I'd love to know where I stand with the new board.
2. Be aware of one's own opinion or feelings about something, as in He knows where he stands on the issue of public housing.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
know where you ˈare/ˈstandknow what your position is; know what somebody expects of you: I don’t know where I stand with him. I don’t know what he feels about me. ♢ Has she talked to you about your chances of promotion? Do you know where you stand?
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- know where one stands
- know where stands
- know where you are with
- know where you are/stand
- know where (one) is with (someone or something)
- know on which side your bread is buttered
- know which side (one's) bread is buttered (on)
- know which side bread is buttered on
- know which side of one's bread is buttered
- know which side your bread is buttered