out of place(redirected from knock something out of place)
out of place
1. Not in the usual or proper place. We need to put everything back perfectly—Mom and Dad will know if even one book is out of place. The detective noticed that the picture frame was out of place.
2. Not appropriate for or fitting with the current surroundings or environment. I'm afraid your type of humor might be a little out of place in such a formal venue. I always felt out of place in school, like I was there by mistake. Their wild nautical-themed house is totally out of place in the neatly organized suburb.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*out of place
1. Lit. not in the proper place. (*Typically: be ~; get ~; knock something ~.) The book I wanted was out of place, and I almost did not find it. How did the furniture in this room get out of place?
2. Fig. inappropriate. (*Typically: be ~; Seem ~.) That kind of behavior is out of place at a party. Your crude language is out of place.
3. Fig. [of someone ] awkward and unwelcome. (*Typically: be ~; feel ~; seem ~.) I feel out of place at formal dances. Bob and Ann felt out of place at the picnic, so they went home.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
out of place
Not in the proper situation, not belonging; inappropriate for the circumstances or location. For example, A high school graduate, she felt out of place among all these academics with advanced degrees , or This velvet sofa is out of place on the porch. This idiom uses place in the sense of "a fitting position." [First half of 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
out of ˈplace
1 not in the correct place: Some of these files seem to be out place.
2 not suitable for a particular situation: Your silly remarks were completely out of place at such an important meeting. ♢ I feel quite out of place at a smart party like this.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017