knock around(redirected from knock me around)
1. To jolt or jostle someone or something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "knock" and "around." Geez, that amusement park ride really knocked us around. Don't knock that box around, it has valuables in it!
2. To strike someone violently. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "knock" and "around." You better call the cops if you think he's knocking his kids around.
3. To informally discuss something, typically a plan or idea. We've been knocking around the possibility of moving to Portland, but it's still just an idea. I want to call a meeting where we can all knock around ideas without any limitations, and see what we can come up with.
4. To travel or move around an area casually or with frequent relocations. I was an army brat, so my family knocked around Europe throughout my childhood. The band has been knocking around in the Southwest for months, but the tour will take them to the coast soon.
1. to waste time. Stop knocking around and get to work! I need a couple of days a week just for knocking around.
2. and kick around to wander around; to bum around. I think I'll knock around a few months before looking for another job. We're just knocking around and keeping out of trouble.
(some place) (with someone) Go to knock about (some place) (with someone).
1. To be rough or brutal with someone; mistreat someone: When he got drunk, he would knock me around. They were in a small boat, and the waves really knocked them around.
2. To wander from place to place in some area: I spent my summer knocking around Europe.
3. To discuss or consider something: We met to knock around some ideas. I'm not sure of this proposal—let's knock it around for a few days.
1. in. to waste time. Stop knocking around and get to work!
2. and kick around in. to wander around; to bum around. I think I’ll kick around a few months before looking for another job.