Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to knock about: in favor of, persevering, obviously, demonstrably, fill up
knock someone or something aboutand knock someone or something around
1. to jostle someone or something. The bumpy road was knocking everyone in the truck about. The bumpy road knocked the old truck around a lot. Don't knock the grocery bags around. You'll break the eggs.
2. to strike someone or something; to beat on someone or something. Max knocked his brother about. Stop knocking me around.
knock about (somewhere)
to travel around; to act as a vagabond. I'd like to take off a year and knock about Europe. If you're going to knock about, you should do it when you're young.
Also, knock around.
1. Be rough or brutal with, maltreat, as in He was known to knock his wife about on a regular basis. [c. 1800]
2. Wander from place to place, as in They were knocking around Europe all summer. [Colloquial; c. 1830]
3. Discuss or consider, as in They met to knock about some new ideas. [Mid-1900s] Also see kick around.