Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to kiting: Check kiting
1. noun, slang A message, note, or letter passed secretly or illegally to, from, or between prisoners. The prison guard confessed to passing a kite to one of the inmates instructing him to murder a prisoner who had given evidence against the criminal organization. The mass riot was apparently orchestrated by a series of kites that were distributed throughout the prison.
2. noun, slang A check issued without sufficient funds in the account used to honor it, especially when done purposely as a form of fraud. A group of fraudsters has recently been using kites to bilk small businesses out of tens of thousands of dollars.
3. verb, slang To issue such a check. The CEO was caught kiting checks to keep his business afloat.
4. verb, slang In video games, especially multiplayer online battle arenas, to keep an enemy within range of one's auto-attacks while continuing to maneuver around them. You're our ADC, so we'll need you to kite the other team's tank as much as possible to distract him away from the rest of our team.
1. informal The practice of fraudulently issuing a check without having sufficient funds to honor it. The bank has issued a warning to small business owners in the area about a sharp increase in the incidence of kiting.
2. slang In video games, especially multiplayer online battle arenas, to keep an enemy within range of one's auto-attacks while continuing to maneuver around them. If you want to play as an ADC at a competitive level, then you need to become proficient at kiting as soon as possible, or you're going to get steamrolled by the other team's tanks.
See also: kite
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.