?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
1. noun, rude slang A person who flatters, praises, or agrees with someone else as a means of gaining advantage or currying favor; a sycophant. A: "Wow, boss, that was a really great decision! You're so clever." B: "Nobody likes a kiss-ass, Terry." You're not going to get an A in math by being a kiss-ass to the teacher.
2. noun, rude slang Of or describing such a person or behavior. Usually used before a noun. Tom's been doing the whole kiss-ass routine for years now. Just ignore him. Trust me, you don't want a kiss-ass fool like him advising you in your business. You need someone who's going to tell you the hard truths.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
kiss someone's ass
Sl. to fawn over someone; to flatter and curry favor with someone. (Potentially offensive. Use ass with discretion.) What does he expect me to do? Kiss his ass? I won't kiss your ass for anything.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Also, kiss up to. Seek or gain favor by fawning or flattery, as in I am not going to kiss as to get the raise I deserve, or If I could find a good way to kiss up to the publisher, my book would be well promoted. The first, a vulgar slangy usage, was first recorded in 1705 as kiss arse, which is still the British usage. The variant, a euphemistic blend of kiss ass and suck up to, dates from the late 1900s.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
kiss assbehave in an obsequious or sycophantic way. North American vulgar slang
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. n. someone who is servile and obsequious. (Rude and derogatory.) I’m fed up with that kiss-ass!
2. mod. servile and obsequious. (Usually objectionable.) He can be so kiss-ass. It makes me sick.
3. in. to act subservient (to someone). (Usually objectionable.) Stop kiss-assing around and stand up to your employer.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
kiss assVulgar Slang
To act submissively or obsequiously in order to gain favor.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.