kill(redirected from kills)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
kill (an amount of time)
To engage in an activity, usually an aimless or idle one, to occupy oneself, especially with the goal of making the amount of time seem to pass more quickly or less slowly. I'm going to walk down to the bookstore to kill a couple hours before my flight. Do you want anything? The game is great if you want to kill a few minutes here and there, but it gets pretty tiresome playing it for long stretches.
1. To commit suicide. Once John realized he had begun to have thoughts of killing himself, he decided to seek help.
2. To bring about one's death by performing a particular action. This phrase can be said when one's life is or could be in danger, but it is often used hyperbolically. I can hardly breathe—I'm going to kill myself if I go back on the treadmill right now! If they try driving home in this snow, they'll kill themselves—tell them to get a hotel room for the night.
3. To overexert oneself. I know you want to get the report done tonight, but don't kill yourself—it's not even due until next week! They're killing themselves finishing the last touches on the exterior of the house before the storm hits us.
See also: kill
kill (oneself) (doing something)
To overexert oneself or overextend one's effort while doing something. Don't kill yourself trying to get the report done tonight—it's not due until next week anyway. They're killing themselves finishing the last touches on the exterior of the house before the storm hits us.
See also: kill
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. tv. to be very successful with an audience; to perform very well for an audience. She really killed them with that last joke.
2. tv. to eat all of something; to drink all (of a bottle) of something. We finally killed the last of the turkey.
3. tv. to douse a light. Would you kill the light so they can’t see we’re home?
4. tv. to stop or terminate something; to quash a story; to stop a story from being printed in a newspaper. Kill that story. It’s got too many errors.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
kill/run down/run out the clock
Sports To preserve a lead by maintaining possession of the ball or puck until playing time expires.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- (one) is going to kill (someone)
- (one) will kill (someone)
- a buzz kill
- be dressed to kill
- be in at the death/kill
- be in at the kill
- close in for the kill
- don't kill the messenger
- dress to kill
- dressed (up) fit to kill
- dressed to kill
- dressed to kill/to the nines
- even if it kills me
- fill or kill
- fit to kill
- gluttony kills more than the sword
- go (in) for the kill
- go for the kill
- have (some) time to kill
- have time to kill
- I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you
- I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you
- if it kills (one)
- if it kills you
- if looks could kill
- if looks could kill...
- in at the death
- in at the kill
- in for the kill
- in on the kill
- it is not work that kills, but worry
- it is the pace that kills
- kill (an amount of time)
- kill (one) with kindness
- kill (oneself)
- kill (oneself) (doing something)
- kill (oneself) laughing
- kill (someone) with extreme prejudice
- kill (something) stone dead
- kill a fly with an elephant gun
- kill for
- kill for something
- kill me
- kill off
- kill one to warn a hundred
- kill or cure
- kill outright
- kill somebody with kindness
- kill someone with kindness
- kill something stone dead
- kill the clock
- kill the fatted calf
- kill the fatted calf, to
- Kill the goose that lays the golden egg
- kill the goose that lays the golden egg(s)
- kill the goose that lays the golden eggs
- kill the rabbit
- kill time
- kill time, a couple of hours, etc.
- kill time, to
- kill two birds with one stone
- kill two birds with one stone, to
- kill with kindness
- kill with kindness, to
- kill yourself
- kill yourself doing something
- kill yourself laughing
- look daggers at, to
- look fit to kill
- move in for the kill
- that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger
- time to kill
- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
- would (just) as soon (do something) as look at (one)
- Would it kill (someone) to (do something)?
- would/could kill for (something)