kill (oneself)(redirected from killing himself)
1. To commit suicide. Once John realized he had begun to have thoughts of killing himself, he decided to seek help.
2. To bring about one's death by performing a particular action. This phrase can be said when one's life is or could be in danger, but it is often used hyperbolically. I can hardly breathe—I'm going to kill myself if I go back on the treadmill right now! If they try driving home in this snow, they'll kill themselves—tell them to get a hotel room for the night.
3. To overexert oneself. I know you want to get the report done tonight, but don't kill yourself—it's not even due until next week! They're killing themselves finishing the last touches on the exterior of the house before the storm hits us.
See also: kill
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
ˈkill yourself (ˈlaughing)(British English, informal) laugh a lot: It was a very funny video. We killed ourselves laughing from beginning to end. ♢ He just stood there, killing himself laughing.
See also: kill
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. tv. to be very successful with an audience; to perform very well for an audience. She really killed them with that last joke.
2. tv. to eat all of something; to drink all (of a bottle) of something. We finally killed the last of the turkey.
3. tv. to douse a light. Would you kill the light so they can’t see we’re home?
4. tv. to stop or terminate something; to quash a story; to stop a story from being printed in a newspaper. Kill that story. It’s got too many errors.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
kill/run down/run out the clock
Sports To preserve a lead by maintaining possession of the ball or puck until playing time expires.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.