Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
kill (an amount of time)
To engage in an activity, usually a rather aimless or idle one, with the goal of making some amount of time seem to pass more quickly or less slowly. I'm going to walk down to the bookstore to kill a couple hours before my flight. Do you want anything? The game is great if you want to kill a few minutes here and there, but it gets pretty tiresome playing it for long stretches.
kill (oneself) (doing something)
To overexert oneself or overextend one's effort while doing something. Don't kill yourself trying to get the report done tonight—it's not due until next week anyway. They're killing themselves finishing the last touches on the exterior of the house before the storm hits us.
See also: kill
1. tv. to be very successful with an audience; to perform very well for an audience. She really killed them with that last joke.
2. tv. to eat all of something; to drink all (of a bottle) of something. We finally killed the last of the turkey.
3. tv. to douse a light. Would you kill the light so they can’t see we’re home?
4. tv. to stop or terminate something; to quash a story; to stop a story from being printed in a newspaper. Kill that story. It’s got too many errors.
kill/run down/run out the clock
Sports To preserve a lead by maintaining possession of the ball or puck until playing time expires.
- (one) is going to kill (someone)
- (one) will kill (someone)
- a buzz kill
- be dressed to kill
- be in at the death/kill
- be in at the kill
- close in for the kill
- don't kill the messenger
- dress to kill
- dressed to kill
- even if it kills me
- fill or kill
- fit to kill
- go (in) for the kill
- go for the kill
- have time to kill
- I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you
- if it kills (one)
- if it kills you
- if looks could kill
- if looks could kill...
- in at the death
- in at the kill
- in for the kill
- It is not work that kills, but worry
- It is the pace that kills
- kill (an amount of time)
- kill (one) with kindness
- kill (one)self
- kill (oneself) (doing something)
- kill (oneself) laughing
- kill (someone) with extreme prejudice
- kill (something) stone dead
- kill for
- kill for something
- kill me
- kill off
- kill or cure
- kill somebody with kindness
- kill someone with kindness
- kill something stone dead
- kill the clock
- kill the fatted calf
- Kill the goose that lays the golden egg
- kill the goose that lays the golden egg(s)
- kill the goose that lays the golden eggs
- kill time
- kill time, a couple of hours, etc.
- kill two birds with one stone
- kill with kindness
- kill yourself
- kill yourself doing something
- kill yourself laughing
- look fit to kill
- move in for the kill
- that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger
- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger