Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, slang A sense of enjoyment, amusement, or excitement. Even as an adult, I still get a kick out of building sandcastles at the beach. She really gets a kick out of doing wheelies on her motorcycle in front of an audience.
2. noun, slang The strong sensation experienced from consuming something with a potent effect or flavor, such as a drug, a drink of alcohol, or a spicy food. Wow, that hot sauce has a real kick to it. My ears are burning!
3. noun, slang A shoe. Always used in the plural. Yo, check out those kicks. Are they original Jordans?
4. verb, slang To overcome an addiction. It took gum, patches, and counseling, but I've finally kicked smoking.
1. slang Excellent, great, or exceptionally entertaining. In all uses, it is sometimes colloquially spelled or pronounced "kickin'." That was one kickin' party, dude!
2. slang Exceptionally fashionable or stylish. Wow, man, that suit is kickin'!
3. slang Still alive and active, especially despite old age. I just found out that Old Man Murphy is still alive and kicking. He must be 104 by now!
See also: kick
mod. wild; super; excellent. I don’t know where you get your clothes, but that jacket’s kickin’.