keep (something) in proportion(redirected from kept this in proportion)
keep (something) in proportion
To refrain from regarding or depicting something in an exaggerated or overblown manner; to not regard or depict something as more important, negative, or significant than it really is. I know we're all shocked by the announcement, but let's try to keep it in proportion—no one is losing their job, and no one is getting a decrease in pay. In reality, it's just a rearrangement of responsibilities. In the age of social media, people seem incapable of keeping current events in proportion.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
ˌkeep something in proˈportionreact to something in a sensible way and not think it is worse or more serious than it really is: Listen, I know you’re all upset but let’s try to keep things in proportion, shall we?
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a ghost at the feast
- a/the feel of (something)
- a crack at (someone or something)
- a fast talker
- all right
- (you) wanna make something of it?
- all for the best
- (you've) got to get up pretty early in the morning to (do something)