keep ahead (of someone or something)(redirected from keep ahead of us)
keep ahead (of someone or something)
1. To remain physically in front of someone or something. Keep ahead of me on the road so I'll know when to turn. He managed to keep ahead through the entirety of the race.
2. To maintain someone's or something's position in front of someone or something else. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "keep" and "ahead." Make sure you keep the car in front of that bus on the highway. The teacher kept me in front of the other students for the walk into the auditorium.
3. To complete tasks in a timely manner, so as to avoid a backlog or burdensome amount of work. So many requests have been pouring in that I simply can't keep ahead of my emails. I'd much rather do some extra work and keep ahead than spend the following week scrambling to catch up. I've been getting all of our documents and reports in order so I can keep ahead of the audit next week.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
(of someone or something) Go to ahead (of someone or something).
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To remain in front of something, especially when moving: We tried to keep ahead of the truck, but it eventually passed us.
2. To have completed all or more than is required of some task in order to be prepared to face more work: I can't keep ahead of all my homework; every day I get more.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.