joy ride(redirected from joy-ride)
1. Literally, a ride in a car done for the sole purpose of pleasure or excitement, especially when the car has been stolen or borrowed without permission. The three teenagers were caught going for a joyride in one of their parent's trucks. The joyride ended in disaster when it crashed head-on into a semitruck on the freeway.
2. slang A drug-induced state of intense euphoria; a powerful high. That coke that Tommy brought gave me one heck of a joyride. These kids go around looking for some quick joyrides, and they end up getting hooked on the junk for the rest of their lives.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a drinking bout or party. There’s a little joy ride over at Tom’s.
2. n. a state of euphoria from drug use. (Drugs.) Ernie’s on a little joy ride right now and can’t come to the phone.
3. n. a ride where the passenger does not return alive. (Underworld.) Mr. Big wanted Sam to take Harry the Horse on a joy ride.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.