joint(redirected from joints)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. Any cheap, disreputable, or low-class place of entertainment, as a bar or club. C'mon, let's get out of this crummy joint. The floor is sticky, the beer is flat, and the food is disgusting. You can tell that part of town is sketchy. All you find there are liquor stores and joints bedecked with neon lights.
2. Any house, dwelling, or establishment. Wow, this is a real nice joint, Sal! You must be earning big bucks in that job of yours! The burglars cased the joint for weeks ahead of time in order to elude the security guards and cameras.
3. Prison or jail. Tom's been in the joint for nearly 13 years. His kid doesn't even know what he looks like.
4. A marijuana cigarette. It sure smells like those kids out in the park are smoking a joint. Here, you want a toke of this joint? This stuff will give you a nice buzz.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a tavern; a speakeasy. (Prohibition.) I wanted to open a joint, but I don’t have the cash.
2. n. a low-class establishment; a dive. Let’s get out of this crummy joint.
3. n. a tobacco cigarette. Why are beggars being choosers about their joints all of a sudden?
4. n. a marijuana cigarette. The joint wasn’t enough to carry him very long.
5. n. a penis. (Usually objectionable.) He covered his joint and ran for the dressing room.
6. n. a jail; a prison. (Underworld.) Lefty just got out of the joint.
7. n. a toilet. I gotta get to the joint fast!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (one's) nose is out of joint
- blow the joint
- blow this joint
- bust up
- case the joint
- clip joint
- creep joint
- don't get your nose out of joint
- get (one's) nose out of joint
- get nose out of joint and have nose out of joint; put nose out of ...
- get one's nose out of joint
- gyp joint
- have (got) (one's) nose out of joint
- heavy joint
- hop joint
- joint effort
- juice joint
- nose out of joint
- nose out of joint, have one's
- nose out of joint, to have one's/put someone's
- out of joint
- put (one's) nose out of joint
- put nose out of joint
- put somebody's nose out of joint
- put someone's nose out of joint
- square joint
- the times are out of joint
- times are out of joint, the