jerk around(redirected from jerks you around)
1. rude slang To waste or pass time idly or with doing nothing or engaging in foolish behavior. Stop jerking around and start cleaning this place up—my parents will be home soon!
2. rude slang To tease someone, often by trying to convince them of something untrue. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is sometimes used between "jerk" and "around." Quit jerking me around, I know there isn't a Hollywood director calling me right now.
3. rude slang To waste someone's time, often with being indirect. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is sometimes used between "jerk" and "around." I don't understand why they didn't just tell me no right away. Instead, they jerked me around for three weeks when I could have been looking for other jobs.
jerk someone aroundand jerk someone over
to hassle someone; to waste someone's time. Stop jerking me around and give me my money back. They sure like to jerk around people in that music shop.
Take unfair advantage of, manipulate or deceive, as in Leave me alone; quit jerking me around! or He was jerking you around when he said he was home all evening. [Slang; mid-1900s]
1. Slang To waste time: They jerked around for hours instead of doing their homework.
2. To take unfair advantage of someone, especially by deception or manipulation: Don't jerk me around; tell me what's going on. The con artist jerked around the unsuspecting tourists at the carnival.
in. to waste time. All you do is jerk around. Get a move on!