jaw(redirected from jaws)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun An impudent answer or response; back talk. A: "Tommy, please clean your room." B: "Go clean it yourself!" A: "Give me jaw like that again and I'll tan your hide!"
2. noun Idle conversation; chit-chat. Would you two give the jaw a rest and get to work already?
3. verb To talk or chat, often idly, excessively, or at length. Those two could spend all morning jawing about celebrity gossip. OK, everyone stop jawing so we can get this meeting started.
4. verb To talk, lecture, or preach. OK, everyone, I know I've been jawing at you all morning, so why don't we take a short break? She spent the whole evening jawing at me about her boring research on insect biology.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a chat. I could use a good jaw with my old friend.
2. in. to chat. Stop jawing and get to work.
3. Go to jaw(bone).
tv. to try to persuade someone verbally; to apply verbal pressure to someone. They tried to jawbone me into doing it.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (one's) jaw drops
- be snatched from the jaws of death
- be snatched out of the jaws of death
- flap (one's) jaws
- flap gums
- glass jaw
- have a glass jaw
- jaw (one) down
- jaw about
- jaw about (someone or something)
- jaw at
- jaw at (one)
- jaw away
- jaw down
- jaw someone down
- Jaws of Life
- make (someone's) jaw drop
- out of the jaws of death
- snatch (one) out of the jaws of death
- snatch (someone) from the jaws of death
- snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
- snatch out of the jaws of death
- snatch victory from the jaws of defeat
- the jaws of (something)
- the jaws of death, defeat, etc.
- with (one's) jaw in (one's) lap
- your jaw drops