jam(redirected from jammable)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. slang One's favorite (or current favorite) song. Yo, this is my jam! Turn it up!
2. slang Something one particularly prefers, desires, enjoys, or cares about. I knew classic literature was your jam, so I thought you might like this book I found. Thank you for the invitation, but long-distance cycling just isn't really my jam.
1. verb To play music together. I heard you guys jamming out in the garage—you really sounded great! We jammed until the wee hours of the night.
2. verb To leave. Aw man, I've got to jam. See you later.
3. verb To forcefully shove a basketball into the net, as by dunking. He was able to jam it right at the buzzer and give us a two-point lead.
4. noun Difficulty or trouble. I'm in a bit of a jam here—my car won't start, and I have a job interview in half an hour.
5. noun In basketball, the act of forcefully shoving a basketball into the net, as by dunking. His jam right at the buzzer gave us a two point lead.
jam someone or something (into something)and jam someone or something in
to force or compress someone or something into something or some place. Sam jammed all his clothes into the canvas bag. The conductor jammed all the passengers into one car. Don't jam in everything! They had to jam themselves into the tiny room, because there was no other place to meet.
see under get in a bind.
1. n. a problem; trouble. I hear you’re in a bad jam.
2. in. [for musicians] to play together, improvising. They jammed until the neighbors complained.
3. tv. & in. to force a basketball into the basket; to slam dunk a basketball. He tried to jam it, but blew it.
4. n. an act of forcing a basketball into the basket; a slam dunk. The jam didn’t work, and Fred’s team rebounded the ball.
5. in. to depart. It’s time to jam. Let’s go.
1. mod. arrested. (Underworld.) Willie got jammed for speeding.
2. mod. alcohol intoxicated. I’m a little jammed, but I think I can still drive.
3. Go to jammed up.
4. mod. upset; annoyed. He’s really jammed because he flunked the test.
See jammed up
mod. excellent. This music is really jamming.
- (one's) jam
- be in (a bit of) a jam
- be in a jam
- be money for jam
- get into (a bit of) a jam
- get into (bit of) a jam
- get out of a jam
- have jam on it
- in (a bit of) a jam
- in a bind
- in a jam
- in a pinch
- into (a bit of) a jam
- jam (on) the brake(s)
- jam (someone or something) in(to something)
- jam (something) down (someone's) throat
- jam on the brake
- jam sandwich
- jam session
- jam the brake(s) on
- jam the brakes on
- jam together
- jam tomorrow
- jam up
- jam with
- jammed up
- money for jam
- money for old rope
- toe jam
- traffic jam
- What more do you want, jam on it?