jam with (someone or something)
1. To clog, congest, or obstruct something with something else. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "jam" and "with." Often used in passive constructions. Someone jammed the printer with the wrong kind of paper. The freeway has been jammed with cars for nearly two hours now.
2. To fill the entirety of some space or container with a large amount of things. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "jam" and "with." Often used in passive constructions. I don't understand why you jam your wardrobe with so many outfits. You barely wear most of them! The care package was jammed with all sorts of goodies from my parents.
3. To schedule many events, activities, performances, etc., to occur within a relatively short period of time. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "jam" and "with." Often used in passive constructions. The two-day festival is absolutely jammed with incredible musical acts. I really don't like to jam my vacations with too much sight-seeing. I prefer to relax and explore my destinations at my own leisure.
4. slang To play music with someone else, especially in an unrehearsed or improvised manner. I brought my guitar and started jamming with a couple of local musicians in the pub. He spent the afternoon jamming with us.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
jam something (up) with something
to clog something with something. Time had jammed the pipe up with rust. Time had jammed up the pipe with rust. Jam the hole with a cloth so nothing else will leak out.
jam with someone
to play music in an improvised band with someone. Andy loves to jam with the other students. Let's set up a time when we can jam with the others.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- add in
- all right
- (one) never would have guessed
- (mother) nature's (something)
- a/the feel of (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- (you've) got to get up pretty early in the morning to (do something)
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- a crack at (someone or something)
- (you) wanna make something of it?