jag(redirected from jagging)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. To send away; to force to retreat. Despite the connotation of "beat," this phrase is often used hyperbolically and does not have to reference violent action. Because their house is in such a great location, they have been beating off a lot of interested buyers. I somehow managed to beat off the intruder with a baseball bat. Your daughter is so pretty—it's only a matter of time until she's beating off the suitors!
2. vulgar slang To masturbate. Typically said of males. A: "Why is he all embarrassed today?" B: "Oh, his crush walked in on him beating off. How horrifying is that?"
have a jag on
To be drunk. A: "Don't mind him, he just has a jag on." B: "Seriously? How is he drunk already?"
1. vulgar slang To masturbate. A: "Why is he all embarrassed today?" B: "Oh, his crush walked in on him jagging off. How horrifying is that?"
2. vulgar slang To waste or pass time idly or by doing nothing or engaging in foolish behavior. Would you quit jagging off and help me move this sofa out to the truck?
beat someone or something off
to drive someone or something away by beating. They beat the enemy off. The army beat off the savage attack, saving the town. I was able to beat off the intruder.
Repulse, drive away by blows, as in We tried to beat off the flying ants swarming about us. Originating in the mid-1600s in a military context, this term was being used for other activities by the mid-1700s.
1. To drive someone or something away, especially by fighting or hitting: Two robbers attacked me on the subway, but I beat them off with my bag. After a long battle, the soldiers beat off the invaders.
2. To defeat someone or something in a competition: Our company intends to beat off our rivals for the contract. The visiting team was behind us for most of the game, but beat us off squarely in the end.
3. Vulgar Slang To masturbate. Used of males.
beat offand ball off and jack off and jag off and jerk off and pull oneself off and toss off and wack off and wank off and whack off and whank off and whip off
1. in. to masturbate. (Usually objectionable.) They say if you beat off too much, you’ll get pimples.
2. in. to waste time; to waste one’s efforts; to do something inefficiently. The whole lot of them were jacking off rather than sticking to business. Stop whanking off and get on with your work!
See beat off
1. n. a Jaguar automobile. What I really want is a jag.
2. n. a drinking bout; a prolonged state of alcohol or drug intoxication. Is he off on another jag, or is this the same one?
3. n. a prolonged state of emotional excess, especially crying. I’ve been on a jag and can’t get my work done. Is she still on her crying jag?
4. n. a drug rush. (Drugs.) This stuff has no jag at all.