it behooves (one) to (do something)(redirected from it behooves us to)
it behooves (one) to (do something)
It is proper or necessary for one to do something; it is one's obligation or duty to do something. (The spelling "behove" is more common in British English.) Primarily heard in US. It behooves him to give his boss two weeks' notice so that he maintains a good professional relationship with her. It behooves you to call your mother before she hears about your pregnancy from someone else.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
it behooves one to do something
Cliché it is necessary for one to do something; it is incumbent (up)on someone to do something. It behooves me to report the crime. It behooves you to pay for the window that you broke.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- (one) could use (something)
- a ghost at the feast
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a/the feel of (something)
- all right
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- a crack at (someone or something)
- a peg to hang (something) on