it's one thing to (do sth), it's quite another to (do sth else)(redirected from it's one thing to it's quite another to)
it's one thing to (do sth), it's quite another to (do sth else)
While it may be acceptable to do something, that does not make it acceptable to do something that is much more extreme or complicated than the first. It's one thing asking us to stay an extra hour each evening to finish a project, but it's quite another to demand we work every weekend without overtime pay or else risk being fired. It's one thing to express your affection for someone you've started dating; it's quite another to bombard them with declarations of love after just a few days.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
it’s ˌone thing to do ˈA, it’s (quite) aˌnother (thing) to do ˈB,
A is ˈone thing, B is (quite) aˈnotherused for saying that you find the first thing acceptable or possible but the second thing definitely unacceptable or impossible: It’s one thing to write a short article; it’s quite another to write a whole book on the subject. ♢ Romance is one thing, marriage is quite another.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- (something) is one thing, (something else) is (quite) another
- it's one thing to (do sth), it's another thing to (do sth else)
- it's one thing to do A, it's another to do B
- it's one thing to (do something), it's another to (do something else)
- something else entirely
- be in step (with someone or something)
- get (someone or something) into shape
- get into shape
- lick something into shape