is the new...
(something) is the new (something)
Something has replaced something else, often as the most fashionable, trendy thing of the moment. In the office of this young billionaire, jeans and a T-shirt are the new business casual. Trust me, navy is the new black when it comes to winter jackets. They may say that 60 is the new 40, but I definitely don't have the same energy level I did at 40!
See also: new
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
... is the new ...(British English, informal) used to say that something has become very fashionable and can be thought of as replacing something else: Brown is the new black. ♢ Comedy is the new rock and roll. ♢ Fifty is the new forty.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- (something) is the new (something)
- a whole different animal
- a whole different ball of wax
- a whole different beast
- (something) to go on
- a thing of the past
- a/the feel of (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- (you've) got to get up pretty early in the morning to (do something)
- a straw will show which way the wind blows