(something) is one thing, (something else) is (quite) another(redirected from is quite another)
(something) is one thing, (something else) is (quite) another
While it may be acceptable to do something, that does not make it acceptable to do something else that is much more extreme or complicated than the first. Asking us to stay an extra hour each evening to finish a project is one thing, but demanding we work every weekend without overtime pay or else risk being fired is quite another. Expressing your affection for someone you've started dating is one thing; bombarding them with declarations of love after just a few days is another. Occasional sadness is one thing, but this prolonged, intense depression you've been experiencing is quite another.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
it’s ˌone thing to do ˈA, it’s (quite) aˌnother (thing) to do ˈB,
A is ˈone thing, B is (quite) aˈnotherused for saying that you find the first thing acceptable or possible but the second thing definitely unacceptable or impossible: It’s one thing to write a short article; it’s quite another to write a whole book on the subject. ♢ Romance is one thing, marriage is quite another.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- it's one thing to (do sth), it's another thing to (do sth else)
- it's one thing to (do sth), it's quite another to (do sth else)
- it's one thing to do A, it's another to do B
- it's one thing to (do something), it's another to (do something else)
- something else entirely
- be in step (with someone or something)
- get (someone or something) into shape
- whip into shape
- whip something into shape
- lick (someone or something) into shape