be cleaned out(redirected from is cleaned out)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
be cleaned out
To be emptied or devoid of money, food, resources, etc. I'd like to play another round of poker, but I'm totally cleaned out! I wish I could offer you some food to go with your tea, but I'm afraid we're cleaned out.
1. Having significantly depleted finances. I'm cleaned out after the poker game last night, so can you pay for dinner? I just had all my bills come due at once, so I'm cleaned out right now.
2. Having been caused to thoroughly empty one's bowels. I am really cleaned out after that bout with the stomach bug.
1. Fig. broke; with no money. I'm cleaned out. Not a cent left. Tom's cleaned out. How will he pay his bills now?
2. Fig. with one's digestive tract emptied. That medicine really left me cleaned out.
1. mod. broke; with no money. Tom’s cleaned out. He’s broke. He’ll have to go home.
2. mod. with one’s digestive tract emptied. That medicine really left me cleaned out.