Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. slang A firearm, especially a pistol. Make sure you bring your iron, Mark. Never know how one of these back-alley deals might go.
2. offensive slang A homosexual male. The term comes from rhyming slang in which "iron" is short for "iron hoof," which rhymes with "poof" (a slang term for a gay man). Primarily heard in UK. A: "I always suspected David was a bit of an iron." B: "Don't be a bigot, Dad."
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a gun; a revolver. (Underworld.) Rocko never carries iron unless he’s going to use it.
2. n. computer hardware. (see also big iron.) What kind of iron are you people running over there?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- all oak and iron bound
- all oak and iron bound and *sound as a barrel
- an iron curtain
- an iron fist
- an iron fist in a velvet glove
- an iron fist in the velvet glove
- an iron fist/hand
- an iron hand
- an iron hand in a velvet glove
- bad iron
- big iron
- blood and iron
- can talk the legs off an iron pot
- cast-iron stomach
- clap (one) in irons
- get (something) ironed out
- get the kinks ironed out
- have a lot of irons in the fire
- have many irons in the fire
- have many, etc. irons in the fire
- have several irons in the fire
- have too many irons in the fire
- in irons
- iron (one's) shoelaces
- iron curtain
- iron fist
- iron hand
- iron hand (in a velvet glove), to rule with an
- iron in the fire
- iron man
- iron out
- iron out the kinks
- iron out the wrinkles
- iron out the wrinkles (of/in something)
- iron poof
- iron the wrinkles out (of/in something)
- irons in the fire, lots of/too many
- irons in the fire, too many
- new off the irons
- pump (some) iron
- pump iron
- pump some iron
- rule someone or something with a rod of iron
- rule with a rod of iron
- rule with a rod of iron/with an iron hand
- rule with an iron fist
- rule with an iron hand
- rule with an iron hand/rod, to
- rule with an iron rod
- several irons in the fire
- shooting iron
- sound as a barrel
- strike while the iron is hot
- strike while the iron is hot, to
- strike whilst the iron is hot
- the iron entered into someone's soul
- the iron enters (into) (someone's) soul
- too many irons in the fire