instead of (something)(redirected from instead of something)
instead of (something)
As an alternative to something; in place of something. Can I have chicken instead of fish? Mom is going to be furious when she finds out that you snuck out to be with your friends instead of doing your homework.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Also, in lieu of; in place of; in someone's stead. In substitution for, rather than. For example, She wore a dress instead of slacks, or They had a soprano in lieu of a tenor, or In place of soft drinks they served fruit juice, or The chairman spoke in her stead. Instead of dates from about 1200; in lieu of, which borrows lieu, meaning "place," from French, dates from the late 1200s; in place of dates from the 1500s; and in someone's stead from the 1200s. Also see under in someone's shoes.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- (you've) got to get up pretty early in the morning to (do something)
- a/the feel of (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- a crack at (someone or something)
- all right
- (you) wanna make something of it?
- all for the best
- (have) got something going (with someone)
- a thing of the past