Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(as) innocent as a lamb
1. Blameless or faultless. I swear, I didn't pull the fire alarm—I'm innocent as a lamb!
2. Unsophisticated, inexperienced, or gullible. This is her first job—she's as innocent as a lamb.
(as) innocent as a newborn babe
1. Blameless or faultless. I swear, I didn't pull the fire alarm—I'm innocent as a newborn babe!
2. Unsophisticated, inexperienced, or gullible. This is her first job—she's as innocent as a newborn babe.
find (one) innocent
To determine and declare in court that one is innocent of a crime. I don't know how the jury found him innocent, considering all the evidence against him.
To act as if one had no knowledge or involvement in something. He always plays innocent whenever something goes wrong in his department. Quit playing innocent, Dana—we have proof that you're the one who stole from the register.
find someone guiltyand find someone innocent; find someone not guilty
to decide guilt or innocence and deliver a verdict in a court of law. The judge found the defendant not guilty by reason of insanity. The jury found the defendant innocent.
*innocent as a lamband *innocent as a newborn babe
1. guiltless. (*Also: as ~.) "Hey! You can't throw me in jail," cried the robber. "I'm innocent as a lamb."
2. naive; inexperienced. (*Also: as ~.) She's eighteen years old, but innocent as a newborn babe.
to pretend to be innocent and not concerned. There is no need to play innocent. I know you broke the lamp! John is playing innocent, and he knows more than he is telling us.