Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(as) black as ink
1. Completely black; totally without light or color. The basement gives me the creeps, it's as black as ink down there!
2. Of a thoroughly evil, mean-spirited, or ungenerous mindset or disposition. She narrowed her eyes, and I could tell her thoughts had turned as black as ink.
slang A writer, especially one who produces a large amount of low-quality material for a living. I spent a lot of time after college as an ink-slinger for various newspapers and magazines while working on my first novel.
written or signed with a pen that uses ink, not with a pencil. You should write your report in ink. You must sign your checks in ink.
See also: ink
ink something in
1. to fill in an outline with ink. Please ink the drawing in with care. Ink in the drawing carefully.
2. to write something in ink. Please ink your name in on the dotted line. Now, ink in your signature on this line right here.
See also: ink
Fig. debt; indebtedness as shown in red ink on a financial statement. There is too much red ink in my financial statement. Too much red ink and the company will collapse.
be bleeding red inkJOURNALISM
If a company is bleeding red ink, it has severe financial problems. Even large companies are bleeding red ink. The company reported huge losses for the year ended March 31, but vowed that after three straight years of bleeding red ink, the worst is behind them. Note: This expression comes from the practice in the past of using red ink to fill in entries on the debit side of a book of accounts.
much ˌink has been ˈspilled (on/over something)a lot has been written about something: Much ink has been spilled on the life of Shakespeare.
red ˈink(business) debts, losses or money that is owed: The company opened the fiscal year with $315.9 million in red ink. ♢ The health care industry is bleeding red ink (= losing a lot of money).
(as) gay as pink ink
mod. having to do with an obviously homosexual person, usually a male. These two guys—as gay as pink ink—came in together.
gay as pink inkverb
1. n. cheap red wine. The old wino prefers ink to anything else.
2. n. publicity; print media coverage of someone or something. The movie star’s divorce got a lot of ink for a few days.
3. n. a tattoo. (The same as paint.) When dya get the new ink?
4. n. tattoos in general; the amount of tattooing on someone’s body. (The same as paint.) He’s got ink covering his back.
n. a professional writer; a newspaper reporter. The ink slingers have been at the candidates again.
n. debt; indebtedness as shown in red ink on a financial statement. There is too much red ink in my financial statement.