Also found in: Dictionary, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
you could hear the grass grow(ing)
It is so still or quiet that one would be able to hear even the tiniest, imperceptible sounds. I reckon you could hear the grass growing in the awkward silence that followed that dreadful performance.
1. To overdose on drugs. I think she OD'ed—call an ambulance! I've taken so much cough syrup in the past few days that I feel like I'm gonna OD on it.
2. By extension, to consume or do something to an excessive degree. Candy, cupcakes, and ice cream? The kids are going to OD on sugar! I think I OD'ed on video games this weekend. I need a break.
To draw an ex (X) or series of exes over some written word or name so as to designate its removal or need to be disregarded. A noun or pronoun can be used between "ex" and "out." A: "Why is Amy's name exed out?" B: "Because she's not coming on the field trip anymore." Just ex out all of the words that you feel need to be deleted in the next draft.
To draw an ex (X) or series of exes over some written word or name so as to designate its removal or need to be disregarded. A noun or pronoun can be used between "X" and "out." A: "Why is Amy's name Xed out?" B: "Because she's not coming on the field trip anymore." Just X out all of the words that you feel need to be deleted in the next draft.
1. noun An initialism of "toilet paper." If you're going to the store later, we're running low on TP. He walked out of the bathroom with TP stuck to his heel.
2. verb To cover something with toilet paper, especially by throwing rolls over the top of it. Every Halloween some punk kids go around TP'ing people's houses. Someone TP'd the statue in the middle of town.
rude slang Engaging in aimless recreation or frivolous time-wasting; fooling around. "Eff" is a euphemism for "fuck." I can't believe we spent the whole day just effing around online.
euphemism Fucking. Based on a spelling of the letter "F," which is used to abbreviate "fuck." I don't want to scream at you in front of the kids, so you better get out of this effing house right now. Quit effing around, you two!
*sure as God made little green applesand *sure as eggs is eggs; *sure as fate; *sure as I'm stand-ing here; *sure as you live
Rur. absolutely certain. (*Also: as ~.) I'm as sure as God made little green apples that he's the one. I'm right, as sure as you live!
X someone or something out
to mark out something printed or in writing, with Xs. Sally X'd the incorrect information out. Sally X'd out the incorrect information. You should X Tom out. He's not coming. Please X out this line of print.
1. To make X-shaped marks on something to indicate that it should be deleted, canceled, or ignored: The editor will x out any offensive lines in your letter before publishing it. I wrote my number on the sheet and then, thinking again, I x'ed it out.
2. To remove someone or something from a list or record: Many details of the Spanish civil war have been x'ed out of the history books to make room for more recent events. My name should be on the admissions list unless they have decided to x me out.
mod. fucking. (Usually objectionable.) What an effing stupid idea! Who is that F-ing idiot.
effing aroundand F-ing around
in. fucking around; messing around. (see also fuck around. Usually objectionable.) They were F-ing around with the switch and turned it on accidentally.
See effing around
See also: around
1. n. an overdose of a drug. (Initialism. Drugs.) If you take an OD and no one is around, you may end up dead.
2. in. to purposely or accidentally give oneself a fatal dose of drugs. (Drugs.) I knew he would OD someday.
3. in. to die from an overdose of drugs. (Drugs.) Two kids at my school ODed last weekend.
4. n. a person who has taken an overdose of drugs. (Hospitals.) How many ODs did you get in here last weekend?
1. n. toilet paper. (The abbreviation is an initialism.) Don’t forget to get teepee at the store.
2. tv. to festoon the trees and shrubbery of a residential yard with toilet paper. (A teenage prank.) All the swimmers’ houses get teepeed the night before a meet.