Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to in way: Nature's Way
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
in (one's) way
1. In the manner that one finds most natural, suitable, or desirable. Often used as "in (one's) own way." He gets anxious if you don't let him solve the problem in his way. It might be a little unorthodox, but she always gets things done in her own way.
2. Impeding one's progress or movement. We can't get out of the driveway with that truck in our way. He has ambitions of running the company, but the CEO's son is currently in his way.
in (someone's or something's) way
Obstructing someone or interfering in something. If you leave your science project in my way, I can't guarantee I won't step on it! She's so determined that I just know nothing will get in her way, and she'll finish her thesis.
in the way of (someone or something)
1. Obstructing someone or interfering in something. Ugh, the neighbor always puts his trash cans in the way of my car. She's so determined that I just know nothing will get in the way of her plans to finish her thesis.
2. Relating to a broad group or category of something. I don't think this store has much in the way of spices, unfortunately.
*in someone's way
1. Lit. in the pathway of someone. (*Typically: be ~; get [into] ~; stand ~.) Don't get in Bob's way while he is bringing groceries in from the car.
2. and in the way of someone('s plans) Fig. interfering with a person in the pursuit of plans or intentions; hindering someone's plans. (*Typically: be ~; get ~; Stand ~.) I am going to leave home. Please don't get in my way. She intends to become a lawyer and no one had better get in her way. I would never get into the way of her plans.
in someone's (or something's) wayand in the way of someone or something
Fig. in the pathway or movement of someone or something. Don't get in my way. That car is in the way of the bus and all the other traffic.